Monday, April 26, 2010

98 Taurus; I changed trans filter and oil what?

The car had no leaks or shift problems;I just do that


on any automatic at 125,000 Mi; I have driven about 100 mi.Now seeing oil leak;not at gasket mating surface;Question the chg kit had gasket and filter,the new one had a collar on tube,the one I removed didn';t so I took collar off,What do I check?98 Taurus; I changed trans filter and oil what?
You installed the new filter INCORRECTLY. To properly install the new filter, you must first remove the old filter. On these cars, the ';collar'; you speak of, will always remain inside the valve body. To remove it, stick a the back end of 3/8'; drive extension (the side the ratchet goes to) into the hole, and gently pry the ';collar'; out, taking care not to damage to bore. To install the new filter, simply press it into place with the ';collar'; on it.





Regarding your fluid leak, did you replace the pan gasket? Where did you get your parts? If it was an aftermarket part (non-Ford), the gasket is probably a cork type (the type I wouldn't use on my own vehicle). You've probably overtightened the pan bolt(s). The original gasket was probably a steel composite type with rubber coating. If this was the type of gasket that was originally on the car, this is what SHOULD'VE been used, because it is REUSABLE. This type of gasket is NEVER to be replaced, UNLESS IT IS DAMAGED. The only other possible source for transmission fluid leak, would be the intermediate-overdrive servo cover gasket (if it's a 3.0L OHV V6 with AX4S transmission), but I doubt it, since you state this concern occured shortly after your service. When loosening or tightening the bolts, use a 5/16'; socket. DO NOT use an 8mm socket. The bolt heads strip easily on this particular transmission. Make sure you use ONLY the proper Ford Mercon V fluid or you WILL have issues in the near future! Hope this helps.98 Taurus; I changed trans filter and oil what?
You left the old collar inside the tube that the filter goes into. Trust me there is one in there. You'll have to take it apart and remove the filter. Look really close you'll see the old seal (what you call the collar) inside. You may have to pry it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment