Friday, January 8, 2010

Is it really better to use high mileage oil and oil filters on older cars?

I have a beretta that has 208,000 miles and just started using fram high mileage oil filters and GTX high mileage oil. Does the high mileage really make a difference or am I just wasting money? Thanks. Oh yeah and if I am just wasting money what kind of oil and filter should i be buying?Is it really better to use high mileage oil and oil filters on older cars?
I was just wondering this myself. I drive a 98 Honda Civic that's got about 150K on it.


I found the answer I'm happy with:


';So what is a ';high mileage'; oil you ask? [T]hese oils have two additives in them which are more suited to older engines. The first is normally a burnoff-inhibitor which helps prevent the oil from burning off if it gets past an engine seal into the combustion chamber. The second is a 'seal conditioner' [...] designed to soak into seals such as head- and rocker-cover gaskets and force them to expand. Thus if one of the seals is a bit leaky, the seal conditioner will attempt to minimise the leak.';


The same site recommends sticking with normal oil unless you experience:


* smokey/sooty exhaust


* oil leaks


* engine consuming oil


I know that my car does seem a little light on oil whenever I change it, so I'll probably keep going with the high mileage oil.


As for filters, I've done research on that, too. A lot of people hate FRAM and other ';cheap'; filter companies, but unless you've got your car amped up on performance enhancers or put a lot of strain on your car, the cheap filters are probably fine. I usually stick with FRAM because they're widely available and have the grippers for easier removal.Is it really better to use high mileage oil and oil filters on older cars?
If the car runs fine then there's really no reason, personally I think it's just a marketing play, like ';senior vitamins';. Just keep up on all the other maintenance and regular oil changes and it'll continue to run good with or without ';high mileage'; oil.
i think it does help my 86 ford has 260,000 miles and still runs fine.


.the oil does have a additive to soften your valve stem seals

No comments:

Post a Comment